Branston Family support allotment to flourish!
The ‘Together We Grow’ gardening and allotment project is blossoming as part of The SMART Prebend Centre and now includes the opportunity to learn gardening on various sites on Wednesday afternoons, as well as ambitious plans to become a social enterprise in 2018. None of which would have been possible without the support of the European Social Fund or Highways England in the past.
We are delighted to announce that The Frank Branston Trust (a Trust set up in memory of Frank Branston ex Mayor of Bedford and founder of Bedfordshire on Sunday) has given us £1000 towards the gardening project. The Trust made a substantial donation back in 2014 at a time when the Prebend Centre needed it most; without their generosity the centre and its vital services may not be open today.
The £1000 will enable the allotment project to become self sufficient in plants next spring, as well as growing plants to sell in the new polly tunnel the centre are buying with some of the money.
We’d like to say a massive thanks to The Branston Family Trust for their support!
Some of the achievements of Together We Grow during summer 2017
- Supplying organic wheat and beetroot to Companions real bread project.
- Raising £200 at a Highways England plant sale with our partners from The Bridge.
- Weekly deliveries of vegetables to the SMART Prebend centre.
- Organising a spring open day with over twenty visitors.
- Being chosen by Waitrose for free plant donations.
- Awarding certificates for long service and exceptional leadership skills.
- Growing food herbs and flowers in the SMART Prebend courtyard.
- Looking after gardens at St John’s and Alexander Road.
- Taking part in community clear ups with Bedford Borough Council.